Monday, April 8, 2013

weekending + things that are true


Can it be? Spring? Weather that means going for walks?! The weekend promised warmer weather and hope for once again going outdoors.  Zach and I even ventured out (without our coats!) for coffee and treats from our neighborhood coffee shop.  Minneapolis friends - you need to go to May Day Cafe and get the almond poppy seed muffin. Whoa. 
 Clearly, we are off of the whole30 :)Enjoying occasional treats is in full swing!
This weekend was actually pretty busy for us, and when that happens I find myself slipping into regret and sadness that the weekend is over. Sounds kind of silly, but I tend toward this when our "time off" wasn't restful enough, or even fun enough.  I so look forward to weekends because of time spent with Zach, slowing down, getting things done, and enjoying rest. These are all good things, but not ultimate things.  So, when they don't happen I don't need to despair.  Jesus is the solid ground on which I stand, not a good weekend. 

These are things that I'm trusting in today...

Things that are true:

1. My hope is not in my circumstance, but in Christ, who never fails.
2. Because of #1, I can have joy in every circumstance.
3. Jesus died for me, and his grace covers even my sin of discontentment in a weekend. His sacrifice on the cross is enough for my sin, big and small.
4. God created work, and He created rest. Both are good because of this.
5. The Lord has me in this season of life for my joy and His glory. I so want to grow in glorifying God in the mundane everyday life circumstances. I sometimes get wrapped up in wishing this season of life away, or believing the Lord isn't using me now. Untrue! 
6. "The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed I have a beautiful inheritance." (psalm 16:5-6)

I'm thankful for Jesus, who makes all of the above true and real.  Thankful that He has redeemed my life and can redeem a weekend. Simple as they are, these true things are heightening my joy on this Monday, and are taking my eyes off of myself, and onto Christ. 

Happy Monday, friends. :)



5 comments:

  1. Very true, JT!! Thanks for the honesty and insights. The 6 points are something we should keep on a notecard for days where it's especially hard to remember. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Chris, definitely need reminders on hard days! (And not hard days as well) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are too cute! Seriously, all the time kind of cute! I'm thankful for you and for your gospel perspective. Love this post, love you more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this at a perfect time although a week later than when you wrote it! This last weekend was very busy for us and seemed to just fly by and all of a sudden its Monday. I found myself depressed that I didn't get the rest I wanted. Thanks for your gospel words ~ Jesus...is my rest. All week long. He provides more rest than a thousand perfectly restful weekends ever could! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stac, so true! Jesus is better than a thousand restful weekends. I'm thankful to know that I'm not alone in idolizing rest, and also not alone in fighting to believe Jesus is sufficient in everything. Love you friend!

      Delete